Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Life In A Small Town #3


               Growing up in a small town, especially in the pre-internet days, it almost seemed you got ahold of trends and fads when they were at odd swings of popularity.  Take for instance, the Macarena.  That wonderful little dance that combined two of America’s favorite wedding reception dances the Chicken Dance and the Hokey Pokey.
                I remember visiting some relatives in Chicago around the time the Macarena craze hit the nation.  Being from a town that neighbored on one of the four smallest broadcast television network markets, I didn’t see the dance craze coming at first.  Hell, this was at a time when we had fewer than fifty cable channels.  Can you believe it kids?  There was actually a time when you had fewer than fifty channels on TV.  The horror of it still makes me wake up at night in cold sweats.
                As I was saying, one of my out of town relatives tried to explain it to me.  I didn’t quite get it at first, and then I realized it was a dance where you don’t actually really go anything.  You just kind of flap your arms.  The only movement from your lower body came at the end of the motion when you would do a ninety degree turn of your body, bearing the dance’s only resemblance to the Hokey Pokey.
                The Macarena came and went and managed to stay in school dances and wedding receptions; or wherever people that couldn’t dance wanted to try and dance.
                Another odd coming of a fad in my town was when it seemed that overnight, everyone that could get their hands on one was wearing a House of Pain jacket.  Yes, the guys that gave us the hit song “Jump Around” managed to cause quite the stir for a while in my little town.  It was funny, because I remember the jackets had that same color scheme as the title sequence from the show Martin.  Or at least that’s the way I remember things.  We had everything from the Insane Clown Posse to Starter Jackets.  Both of which could be found in secondhand stores and yard sales in same said town ten years later.  Now people can actually afford the Starter jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment